For the Love of Bread

October 4, 2016

I love Sunday.

Got up early to pack a party.  After church we planned to celebrate Jud’s birthday at Chad and Kristina’s house, even though Jud wouldn’t be eating with us, just observing from higher up.

Tucked into totes were eggs, blueberry jam, English Muffin bread, bacon, chicken sage sausages, shredded cheddar cheese, tomatoes, green and yellow peppers, cinnamon rolls, orange juice and champagne to make Mimosas. Maggie, Kate and I’d whip up  a special brunch, once Church and Sunday School ended.

Slipped into the pew with brunchy more than holy thoughts until Reverend Susan went to the pulpit and announced the sermon of the morning: Gluttony.

“Great timing,” I muttered.

Some hard to swallow thoughts:

“Tell me what you’re eating and I’ll tell you who you are.”

Lord, please don’t look in my car!

“Do I place food at the center of my life versus God?”

“Gluttony is about more than food; it’s about extravagance.”

This was the clincher, for me. “When we consume more than we need, it harms others and that’s sin.”

“Gluttony’s not just about food.  Think in terms of extravagant use of water and natural resources.”

Think of what and why I buy and consume goods, about where and how they’re made and by whom.

Well, I don’t always love the truth, especially when it hurts.

Lord, have mercy, on this glutton.

Susan passed out hope as she prepared us to come forward to take communion,”If we are what we eat…take and eat the Bread of Life.”

Which blessed this broken heart and reminded me why I love Sundays,  a day to kneel, open my heart and hand to receive that which only satisfies my deepest hunger.

“Bread of Heaven, Feed me ’til I want no more.”

2 people HEART this story

• Reply Alice October 4, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Oh, Jan. When I finished reading this blog, through tears I was praying Amen, Amen, Amen. Thank you for refusing to let us forget what we heard on Sunday but could ignore on Monday. Yes, Lord, Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more.

• Reply Cindy October 4, 2016 at 6:43 pm

So good. Thank you.

• Reply Shelly October 5, 2016 at 5:51 pm

Thanks Jan! We just returned from Haiti and two days later they got hit with Hurricane Matthew. Being there was a reminder of the inequity of resources in our two worlds. Your blog is a reminder of where we want to be extravagant no matter what our earthly circumstances, but it’s interesting to see that those with so little material and so much hardship seem to be more extravagant towards the Bread of Heaven.

• Reply Dale Lefever October 5, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Thanks. Two funerals of friends and children of friends in the first three days this week. Everyone is hungry and hurting – hopefully, they will turn to the bread of life. It can be tough to eat, however, when your stomach is filled with grief and anger.

I really am trying to move the popular phrase, “each day is a gift” from a cliche to my daily consciousness – before God does it for me!

Blessings for these constant reminders of the powerful Trinity we worship and, hopefully, serve.

Dale

• Reply Susan+ October 6, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Dear, dear Jan, I laughed out loud at this and tried to examine what I said as the last thing I’d want would be to correct YOU in anything. But the Bread of Life saves us from ourselves and our idle words, doesn’t it. And our picnics, of course. Hope you had a wonderful time at yours. The menu sounded wonderful! Thanks be to God for you and your sense of humor and humanity.
    Much love,

• Reply Susan+ October 6, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Dear dear Jan, I laughed out loud at this and tried to examine what I said, as the last thing I’d want would be to prevent your lovely picnic in any way! But the Bread of Life saves us from ourselves and our idle words, doesn’t it. And from our picnics, of course. Hope you had a wonderful time at yours. The menu sounded wonderful! Thanks be to God for you and your sense of humor and your humanity.
    Much love,