All is Well

March 13, 2018

Just checking in to thank you for your prayers and caring hearts.

I am siting on the side of a hospital bed(not swinging my legs, however) with the computer on the bedside tray table.  My gown’s open in the back, not by my choosing.  After no liquids or solids for 24 hours, a cup of cold water was a 5 star gourmet feast. Later because “my belly gurgled” I was cleared for some solid food.

Surgery went well, according to  the doctors/nurses and a cast of many.  I’ve already met the PT and taken a short stroll with the help of a walker.  Amazing!

Tylenol and another non-narcotic med have been my friends.  If need arises (and all assure me it will), there’re plenty of opioids to choose from. I just don’t want to have to enter rehab for something other than my knee, nor shame my son-in-love who’s a Public Health doctor, battling the opioid crisis.

Two gizmos massage my calves to keep blood moving and me from sleeping, as does the hospital bed. This is no Sleep Number model…but I’m grateful for hospitals and good care.  I have a closet but hangers  must cost extra.  There’s also a window in room 206 at Beverly hospital I so can watch the Nor’Easter as it slams in later tonight and tomorrow.  If all goes well, I’ll be on my way home on Wednesday.

Remembering a lifetime of God’s Faithfulness and one Haitian nursing assistant who hummed, Great is they Faithfulness  the first time Jud and I went for his chemo at MGH.

“All I have needed, Thy hand hath provided.”

God’s faithful.

To  me

To you.

All is well.

8 people HEART this story

• Reply Marty Lefever March 13, 2018 at 12:46 am

Thank you, Jesus! Rejoicing that you are on the other side of this one! He is faithful, indeed! Love you…..

• Reply Lillian Haroer March 13, 2018 at 12:55 am

Thanks be to God! And thank you, sweet Jan, for your speedy update. You are amazing! So thankful and so relieved to hear directly from thoughtful you. Love you and praying for a quicker than quick recovery, “Sleep, my child, and peace attend thee, all through the night”…Lillian

• Reply Marianne Cannon March 13, 2018 at 1:04 am

Jan, I am glad to hear that the surgery is over. Thanks be to God, as Patrick might say. I will continue to keep you and your recovery in my prayers.

Much love in Christ,
    Marianne Cannon

• Reply Karen A Knezevic Gold March 13, 2018 at 1:05 am

You have a room with a view! The day after I had Andrew, our third, the North Shore was slammed with a blizzard, and Jeff couldn’t get to the hospital. I sat with my new sweet baby and watched the storm through the window. So grateful that all is well with you, and I’m praying for a peaceful and swift recovery!

• Reply Jill MacCully March 13, 2018 at 1:13 am

So glad you got through that!!! Praise God! I had a knee replaced over a year ago and it feels so much better!! You’ll be chasing those grands in no time. Hope you have a speedy recovery and enjoy all that beautiful white flakes tomorrow. Your posts always make my day! So grateful for your ministry!

• Reply Linda Coonrod March 13, 2018 at 1:21 am

Ah, my dear one, so glad that the surgery is behind you and you will now heal so quickly. I feel like I know that room…so many of my loved ones have been recipients of the hospitality of BH over the years. Prayers and hugs to you!

• Reply Madeline March 13, 2018 at 1:29 am

Hope your recuperation goes quickly

• Reply Dale Lefever March 13, 2018 at 1:45 am

Thanks Jan,

I appreciate the praise, but the mental picture with the open gown is a bit hard to process. I think you need to be careful with what a room with a view means. 🙂 I agree you should keep those opioids close – you will love those morphine drips! The PT will provide plenty of pain, so get in shape with a few days of relief. Praying for your healing and recovery.

Blessings, Dale

• Reply Valerie McCoy March 13, 2018 at 1:53 am

If anyone could look camera-ready in a hospital gown that plunges down your back…..it would be wonderful y.o.u. I stand at the ready in case you need a broach! Many years ago Stan Gaede teased me by commenting that I will be “very recognizable in heaven because I’ll have earrings on.”
    Yeah, so what’s wrong with that?
    I send you praises and a grateful heart
    for the holy healing that has begun.
    (And at the risk of having every evangelical exhort me I say….drugs are your friend, when pain is intolerable)
    Oh so much love to you

• Reply Jim Trent March 13, 2018 at 2:09 am

I pray that you recover shortly.

• Reply Shirley M Dubeau March 13, 2018 at 2:11 am

Jan ,
    Thanks for the update!
    So glad for you and thankful to Him!
    Let the work begin!! You got this, girlfriend! ❤️
    Will keep ,
    Shirley

• Reply Dan Russ March 13, 2018 at 3:33 am

He works all things together for good for shoes who love Him, and I know you do.

• Reply Lisa March 13, 2018 at 3:37 am

So glad to see this article Jan. I was unable to sleep tonight— I kept trying to remember the words to “Great is thy faithfulness.” And here it was in your post. Thinking of you and praying for your swift recovery.

Lisa Carlson Penta

• Reply Sharon Eaton March 13, 2018 at 3:46 am

Dear Jan,
    How thoughtful you are to inform us how your surgery went today…no surprise there! So glad to know it went well & you can begin recovering now!! Hope that happens quickly for you & you are up & out soon. Maybe the storm will be past by then & springtime will bring sunshine & warmth…just like you!!
    Thinking of you with love,
    Sharon Eaton

• Reply Sue Andringa March 13, 2018 at 4:15 am

What wonderful news, Jan … surely an answer to prayer! I like the idea you’re in the hospital rather than home with a Nor’easter predicted. God bless you, sweet friend, as you navigate the halls and PT … healing is coming, even though some days will seem slower than others. It all counts. 🙂
    Much love,
    Sue

• Reply Helen Demsko March 13, 2018 at 11:25 am

Thankful the bad part is replaced, but you are left just as you were! Thankful for your beautiful spirit! Enjoy the storm – safe!

• Reply Randall K. Mathews March 13, 2018 at 12:36 pm

Hi Jan:
    Your news of a successful surgery brought a sense of relief and joy to our hearts. May God be praised for His faithfulness, love, grace to you during this whole process of getting that new knee. Maggie and Kate will have reason to clap loud and long!! You will continue to be in our prayers and thoughts and we love you.

Alice and Randy Mathews

• Reply Eleanor March 13, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Praise the Lord! He is so faithful and so good. Glad to hear the good news. Jan our prayers are still for you. Paul has cancer but is doing fine right now. God has been so good to us. When he was a teen the doctors in Boston told them he would only live to be in his twenties. He will be 80 yrs old the 24th of this month. He had kidney cancer after we had been married 9 most., lost a kidney, had 9 by passes, was in n accident nd lost 4 months of work,,,two blockages and had stents,.has a pacemaker, and has diabetic,and now cancer again. God has been so good to us! Glad you won’t have to go to a Rehab. We love you and have great memories of our time together.

• Reply Theresa Morin Hall March 13, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Love and prayers, dear Jan, and thank you for being you and for writing so beautifully after your surgery–another benefit to not taking the strong stuff! But happy it is there for you when/if you need it. I’ve always heard that “staying ahead of the pain” is important and that sounds like good advice. I join with all your friends and family in hugs (gentle ones) and prayers (powerful ones) for a quick recovery and some darn good rest. xoxo always, Theresa

• Reply Deb White March 13, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Jan, so happy to hear your surgery went well. Will continue to be in prayer for your recover. Stay on top of the pain, meds won’t be needed for too long. Sending love, Deb

• Reply Deb White March 13, 2018 at 5:47 pm

Jan, so happy to hear your surgery went well. We will continue to be in prayer for your recovery. Stay on top of the pain, meds won’t be needed for too long. Sending love, Deb

• Reply Maralee Laughlin March 13, 2018 at 7:18 pm

Praying for you, dear Jan.
    I so enjoy reading your blogs.
    Blessings and Healing Hugs,
    Maralee

• Reply Carolyn Sylvester March 14, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Jan – Love your comments…. Some people will do “anything” to get out of shoveling – LOL. Praying for your speedy and complete knee recovery!
    Carolyn

• Reply Priscilla Young March 16, 2018 at 4:37 pm

This is good news! Been praying for you and will continue.
    Priscilla