Kind Kids

June 5, 2018

One of the earliest snippets of Scripture I learned was, “Be ye kind one to another.”

It doesn’t come naturally for most of us.

In a culture, too prone to bullying,  kindness gets mistaken for weakness.

Since  knee surgery in March and my birthday last Saturday, I’ve been the recipient of much kindness.  Thank you for every caring connection.

Kindness heals places medicines can’t touch.

Kindness peels away wrinkles from the mind and soul.

Yours left me feeling younger than 78 and blessed.

Recently, I read one of Frederick Buechner’s sermons entitled, Growing Up, based on I Peter 2:1-3, 9
This passage challenges us to stop acting like babies, recognize our call to be holy, underscored by, “Now that you have had a taste of the Lord’s kindness.” (v.3 NLT)

Buechner writes “Be kind because although kindness is not by a long shot the same thing as holiness, kindness is one of the doors that holiness enters the world through…”

A few days ago, ABC news showed a young boy helping an elderly woman with a walker, climb steep steps to safety.   He looked about age 8 with dark skin, she white, around 80. The reporter said the boy’d been riding in the car with his mother when he caught sight of the old woman, struggling to manage both stairs and walker.  He asked his mom to pull over.  She did,  he jumped out, then helped a stranger slowly make it to the top.

Some days, we’re struggling with life’s climb, in need of a kind hand.

Most days, hopefully, we’re spontaneous as kids, sharing kindness with the least likely, the unsuspecting,  even the undeserving, unaware of the presence of  the One who walks beside us smiling encouragement, applauding with nail scarred hands.

4 people HEART this story

• Reply Wendy Lane June 5, 2018 at 11:13 pm

So good!!

• Reply Sue Andringa June 5, 2018 at 11:23 pm

A belated “Happy Birthday”, Jan!! I’m so glad you were blessed! Bob and I send love and big hugs to you! ❤️

• Reply Linda Moore June 6, 2018 at 1:34 am

Since I consider you the “Queen of Encouragement ,” it’s only fitting that you should be on the receiving end for a change. I’m so glad you are feeling blessed and of course loved….because you are!!

• Reply Evelyn MorganI' June 6, 2018 at 11:39 am

Your birthday just sneaked up and passed by this 80 year old – so sorry! Still remembering the kindness shown to me so many years ago by a green, unappreciative roommate. Your kindness taught me many things that have stuck with me. Still have much to learn in my senior years. God is so gracious and forgiving and I am so blessed. Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

• Reply Dan June 6, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Your reflection reminds me of a favorite ancient saying: Be kind, for each p one you meet fights a great battle. Praise God that you were born into his good world and brought into so many of our lives.

• Reply Dale Lefever June 6, 2018 at 3:15 pm

Jan, I heard an interesting quote from Chris Wallace recently which said: Everybody you know is more wounded than you know, so be kind. Good advice.

Dale

• Reply Shelly June 11, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Thanks Jan…so thankful that you share your insights and wisdom! I am blessed by the acts of kindness God allows me to give and receive. Praising God for your knee recovery and celebrating another year of life!!

• Share Your Thoughts