Uncle!

July 15, 2018

My physical therapist’s ready to cry, “Uncle!” along with me, since my knee’s turning out to be as stubborn as Norwegians are known to be. It’s been four months since the surgery and I’m stuck at 90 degrees.

Left with two choices: do nothing or  something, I’ve opted for something.  Monday I head back to Beverly Hospital for a 10:00 a.m. appointment with the surgeon for a knee manipulation, under anesthesia.  Both sound less than desirable.  Who wants to be manipulated while drugged in some way?  Well, it’s imperative I get beyond 90 degrees so I’m entrusting myself to God to oversee Dr. Bend-but-don’t-break-my leg. Unless something unusual happens, I’ll be in and out in one day, no sleepover.

Knees are tricky bones.  They bend and bear much over the years.  Until they start aching and creaking, it’s easy to keep them under wraps and under appreciated.   Of course, I could name more in my body and life I assume will keep on functioning whether I notice, much less say, “thanks.”

Still haven’t been able to kneel  for communion, which leaves me feeling off-kilter when I lean forward, balancing, reaching awkwardly to receive Grace.  So much more to pray for than my knee at the altar, reminders I’m more than a body. But the essence of me is housed in a body I wish I’d take better care of.

In the nearby town of Hamilton we have Patton Park, complete with the General’s tank.  George Patton said, “Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.”

That’s where I am, while seconds tick towards Monday, trying to fight fear, be braver than I am.

Across from the park, the Methodist church’s bulletin board stated:

GOD MAKES ALL THINGS NEW, Thrift shop open.

Holy Mender, have mercy on all who cry for something new.

1 person HEARTS this story

• Reply Shirley M Dubeau July 15, 2018 at 2:21 am

You’re in our prayers, dear sister.

• Reply Marcia Lier July 15, 2018 at 2:33 am

Only you could see humor in this situation. My daughter had a knee stuck at 90 degrees and had to have it manipulated. I can so sympathize with pesky, knees. I learned then how complicated and important a knee is. You have my prayers. All of us fumble and stagger a bit when it comes to bowing to our creator. I was one of those that needed some Holy Spirit manipulation before bowing to my God.

• Reply Ruth S. Wacome July 15, 2018 at 2:34 am

Praying for each need, Jan.

• Reply Radina Welton July 15, 2018 at 2:44 am

Add my prayers too, Jan.

• Reply Myrna July 15, 2018 at 3:07 am

So happy to pray on your behalf.

• Reply Sue Andringa July 15, 2018 at 3:54 am

Praying for you , Jan, and asking God to heal you completely. At our age “our bodies are wasting away, but inwardly we are being renewed day by day. “ What a great truth when we are trusting Jesus .❤️

• Reply Sharon Eaton July 15, 2018 at 4:00 am

Oh Jan! So sorry your knee needs “manipulation “ on Monday! You are (& will be) in our thoughts & prayers! Hang on to courage!!
    Praying to hear good news on the other side of Monday.
    God’s blessings, dear friend, and our love!❤️

• Reply Laura G July 15, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Dearest Jan, remember the good General also quipped “Accept the challenges so you can feel the exhilaration of VICTORY!” And that you have many times over so here’s to us being on our knees for you and mobility!!!!! Hearts! Laura

• Reply Eleanor July 15, 2018 at 1:03 pm

So sorry to hear you are having such a time with your knee. God is a great God and is also the Great Physician. We will be praying for you and will put you on our prayer chain. So many people know you and love you. You are a precious person and to nice to have this trouble. Love Eleanor.

• Reply Susan McMullen July 15, 2018 at 1:22 pm

I’m so glad that something can be done and I pray that it will work and you’ll be kneeling at the communion rail asap. Much love

• Reply Wendy Lane July 15, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Oh stink! So sorry to hear about how stubborn your knee has been. Praying the manipulation works (even that word “manipulation” sounds awful!) and praying for God’s Peace that passes all our human understanding will GUARD your heart and mind and soul until you can kneel again. So much love and hugs!!

• Reply Helen Demsko July 15, 2018 at 6:11 pm

Praying for you to hold on “one more minute”!

• Reply Randall K. Mathews July 15, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Dear, dear Jan:

Wonderful to know that so many are praying for a successful knee manipulation on Monday. Alice and I will keep you in our prayers as well. May God grant you His grace and peace.

Randy for the Mathews

• Reply Renie Rich July 15, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Cheering you on, Jan! Having had both knees replaced within the last 4 years I know the hard work, pain and discouragement the climb back can hold. Praying for a good outcome and peace in the midst.
    With hope and love,
    Renie

• Reply Marty Lefever July 15, 2018 at 11:14 pm

Ugh! Praying for you, dear friend! Cling to Jesus!

• Share Your Thoughts