A Simple Question

March 3, 2024

What are you giving up for Lent? Well, I answered, “I was so into getting ready to fly to Ireland, I didn’t give up anything but some money.” And then I remembered reading something and added “I’m giving up on giving up.” I don’t know where I read it but it’s good at my age to resist giving up on life, people, myself, governments, the Church and so on.

It brings me back to Trust. Trust in God. Trust my gut. And trust others to want to do better this time around. I’m not naive. But choose to err on the side of second chances.God knows I need them, as well as mercy and grace.

It’s good to be home. But also, it was good to spend time with some of my family and explore parts of Ireland. I’ll write more later. But for now, I’m giving up on staying up much longer. I have to be up early for some eye surgery in the morning. It helps that the Community Bible Study verse for this week is, “I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.” ( Psalm 34:4) Time to give up worrying.

I take comfort that God neither slumbers nor sleeps. (Psalm 121:4-5) So you and I can rest easy. Or easier.

• Reply Katherine Bagley March 3, 2024 at 9:39 pm

Praying for you to be at peace and without worry, for your eye surgery and surgeon and a speedy recovery.
    Katherine B

• Reply Jan Carlberg March 8, 2024 at 2:53 pm

Thanks, dear Katherine. I look like a mess but I’m doing well. So far I’m avoiding all mirrors. Hugs to you and Jim.

• Reply Maggie Wallem Rowe March 4, 2024 at 5:15 am

Welcome back, dear Jan! I love your line about what you gave up for Lent and I think I’ll borrow it. We “gave up” a lot to spend nine weeks volunteering in Norway, but when we give we also get so much more. And one big advantage to being 6 hours ahead of you in the timezone is that I can be praying for you here well before your early morning eye surgery there. Sender deg kjærlighet og bønner!

• Reply Jan Carlberg March 8, 2024 at 2:56 pm

Takk, dear Maggie. Good to know you and God were on duty early. I’m doing well, by faith, not by sight. I look like I was in a fight and lost, or as some would say,”You should see the other guy !”

• Reply Toni Lovingood March 4, 2024 at 7:49 am

Jan,
    Prayers for you this week. I know you will be home and resting today. I can’t wait to see pictures from your latest trip.

• Reply Jan Carlberg March 8, 2024 at 2:59 pm

Well, I was afraid you were going to ask to see pictures of me after the surgery, dear Toni. I’m not a pretty sight. But I’m here and grateful for you and others who prayed..

• Reply Dale March 4, 2024 at 11:32 am

Wise counsel from a wise woman which differs in a positive sense, from a “wise guy.” I call that positive sexism! No matter what we give up, if it brings more time with the Savior, is time well spent. Praying for your surgery but not sure I want you to see me more clearly. 🙂 Blessings, Dale

• Reply Jan Carlberg March 8, 2024 at 3:04 pm

Well, I never get to see you and Marty as much as I’d like. This surgery wasn’t about vision, but to remove a skin cancer near the tear duct. I didn’t ask where the skin graft came from to fill the hole. If they’d asked, I had suggestions ready. Love to you and Marty.

• Reply Wendy March 4, 2024 at 3:45 pm

I’m so behind – and won’t take the time to comment on every post I’ve missed (ha, aren’t you glad?!) Praying your eye surgery went well and you have no complications with recovery. Love reading all your wise (and wise gal) comments on every post. Oh – just had a delightful visit with Wendy Connor and Sandi Moir – so priceless that we college roommates are still the best of friends. We all love you by the way <3

• Reply Jan Carlberg March 8, 2024 at 3:06 pm

Well, I love you all,too. It does me good to read of your friendship. Sending hugs to you, Steve, Wendy and Sandi.

• Reply Wendy March 8, 2024 at 4:00 pm