Good Company

May 24, 2024

Today’s one of those days. Hot, humid and heaven-sent after a rainy winter and spring. And then there’s my Grand Lily. Picked her up at the airport yesterday, fresh from Dublin. As I write, I hear her singing upstairs. She’s easy to have around. Good company.

Earlier this morning, while I slept, Lily headed to Good Harbor Beach for a swim. Must be the Viking blood in her. Needless to say, no one else was in the water. Just a couple of beachcombers watched and wondered.

And then there are the Lilacs blooming just outside the front door. I love this time of year, so fragrant and hopeful. Sometimes I long for a whiff of something sweet smelling in a world than seems to be on fire. And I long for a dose of hope, the promise of good to come. Springtime delivers both for me. Plus, it’s May, the month Jud and I married in 1963. The inside of my wedding band has the date, plus our code for: Grow Old With Me, The Best is Yet to Be.

HOPE is good company.

On Wednesday morning, we wrapped up our Community Bible study until September. And last night we concluded our book group at Christ Church until the fall. Both groups nudge me to keep growing, as does the Blessed Sisters group of avid readers. Our summer choice is Doris Kearns Goodwin’s: An Unfinished Love Story. BOOKS and small groups are good company.

And so on this Memorial Day Weekend, I wish you a taste of summer with family and friends. Winter tends to keep us indoors and isolated. And politics and our need to be right can keep us separated from others. But we’re meant for community. However, Henri Nouwen defines community as, “the place where the person you least want to live with always lives.”

True in families and churches, too, isn’t it? But, as I’ve said before, Grace is more than a mumbled prayer before a meal. GRACE is really good company.

• Reply shelly moran May 24, 2024 at 8:37 pm

And so are you Jan.

• Reply Jan Carlberg May 24, 2024 at 9:51 pm

Wow, thanks Shelly. And you and Jane have been such good leaders for our CBS group. Thank you for another growth-inducing year. And for showing me the Baltimore Oriole a week ago. Happy Summering!

• Reply Dale May 25, 2024 at 7:21 am

Thanks Jan and you and your heart-felt words are good company as well. Words matter and God’s Word matters most. I appreciate how you represent His word with each blog. Blessings, Dale

• Reply Jan Carlberg May 25, 2024 at 9:15 am

Just this morning, I read in Yancey’s GRACE NOTES,” Grace, like water, flows to the lowest part. We in the church have humility and contrition to offer the world, not a formula for success. Almost alone in our success-oriented society, we admit that we have failed, are failing, and always will fail. That is why we turn to God so desperately.” And why Grace is so astonishing to receive and so vital to offer others. So thank you, dear Dale and Marty, for being Grace to me and Jud over many years of friendship. You continue to be GOOD Company on this journey to our real Home.

• Reply Maggie Rowe May 27, 2024 at 8:17 am

Lily and lilacs, sounds like a great combination to me! Happy Memorial Day, Jan. Remembering you and our decades of friendship with deep gratitude today.

• Reply Jan Carlberg May 27, 2024 at 8:50 am

It’s a combo worth celebrating, rain or shine. And, at the moment, it’s raining. And thanks for your GOOD company over many years,dear Maggie.

• Reply Wendy May 27, 2024 at 9:00 pm